1. Elegant wood shelving, seen in a kitchen from The Marion House Book .
2. Open shelving makes this small kitchen from Lonny seem more spacious (the subdued color palette of the dishes definitely helps).
3. For your bohemian kitchen, crates and baskets can take the place of upper cabinets. I love the contrast of the super-sleek white lower cabinets (complete with white faucet!) and the rustic look of the crates. Katarina Grundstromer via The Brown Workshop and The Kitchn .
4. A great example of open shelving mixed with traditional upper cabinets, from Stadshem via .
5. At the far end of the spectrum is this kitchen from House to Home with hardly any upper storage at all. Some people are choosing to take this one step further and go with no upper cabinets at all — a clean look, but one that must involve a lot of squatting down and scrounging around.